Friday 13 June 2014

Conflict of Change


The concept of change is such an overused word isn't it?   I mean the very word creates a sense of stress and uneasiness in most people and that’s usually because it used primarily in a negative context.  Getting comfortable with the thought of change is, I dare say harder than actually the change itself.  Generally speaking I think I'm pretty comfortable with the concept of change, but like you it’s often the context, timing and past experiences that dictate the requisite levels of stress.

A big change for me was my mindset as I approached planning for my summer vacation.  With summer nearing I felt drawn back to Italy, even though I had written about going to Vietnam.  For some reason I felt as though I was stalling booking my trip and slowly but surely being seduced back into my old comfort zone of Italy.  I agree, what’s not to like right?

One of the two Entry Visa letters I need to carry
in transit along with two passport sized photos
However, not to be complacent or seduced by the fancies of Italy I spent Wednesday night researching the various options of getting to and from Vietnam, and eventually booked my flights late that night.  Yes, all nine of them on four different airlines to get to and from Hue and the beautiful South China Sea coastline.  Some interesting questions came up during my research (yes, I sometime speak to myself): “Do I use points or is it cheaper to pay for this leg?”, “Is it cheaper to fly via a different city vs. the obvious location?”...  So many choices and different combinations, all with no wrong answers, however this activity is not for the faint of heart and I can see why the traditional travel agent model still works – so many choices around carriers, flight times, connections etc.

 I even booked my visa online to which I've already been approved and have my entry letter from the Vietnamese government, now I just need two passport sized photos and my $45 USD fee on arrival.  Smartly, I’ve also been contacted by the company that I applied for my visa through asking me if I’d like to move to the front of the customs line on arrival for an extra $20.   Hell, at this point why not!

After booking and looking at the various travel sites and things to do in Vietnam, an inkling of doubt began to enter my mind, as expected, fear of change and doubt were back knocking at my door!  I tried to erase the very thought of fear or compromise, although the little voice in my head had lots of great reasons to doubt.

For example, how are you going to communicate the voice asked enquiringly?  At least when I go to Italy I have a smattering of Italian words which enables me to communicate on an, albeit rudimentary level…okay, my pidgin Italian isn't my strong suit, although depending on who you ask neither is my English. J

Summertime in Vietnam...yep, its going to be
hot and humid!   Yay
Hhmmm I knew I had to short circuit that damn voice, but to be completely honest I found myself quite stressed with the change.  Even though I had deliberately stated that was going to be my destination of choice this year.  My approach is that if I say it out-loud to others then I’m much more likely to follow through as its now in the public domain and expectations have been set.  A useful method to my madness I suppose and a great way for me to help the overall change process and quieten the voice of doubt in my head now that I'd backed myself into a corner.

Now that I have my destination and route mapped, hotels booked - what now?  Well, that’s the easy part! Although I'm sure many of you might be stressed when thinking in terms of what to pack for a journey like this.

For me packing is dead easy – working only with carry on for starters!   A colleague at work asked me what I was going to take…let me see, a couple of pairs of shorts (yes, its in the depths of summer and being relatively close to the equator is hot and sticky at the best of times, but in the depths of summer its going to be super hot).  As well, two or three t-shirts, plus the same number of tank tops, as well as a good pair of hiking shoes, some thongs (flip flops to the uneducated Australian lingo), toiletries and my camera, lens and extra battery…plus my Apple Air so I can blog during my adventure.

I guess some things don't change as I like to travel as light as possible and always have.  Yep, that pretty much sums it up – enough to fit in a small carry on backpack.  My mate Roscoe always said put out on your bed what you think you’ll need for the trip then only take half – words to live by I can tell you.

Now I can hear you all now taking a deep breath…don't worry I'll bring some washing detergent to clean my clothes while I'm there, plus its only a couple of weeks so no worries! 

I've also got a couple of nights in Hong Kong at the end of the trip and if necessary will buy a bag to bring back any trinkets that I acquire during my shopping extravaganza, so not totally frugal and minimalistic – just pragmatic! 

Now that I've booked my trip I definitely feel more at peace with my summer, although I must admit I'm already pining for Italy, over the years its just gotten so under my skin its hard to describe, but love it like a third home after Australia and Canada. 

Even for the most change friendly people change is hard…  J


All I can say is Vietnam here I come!


Some photos from my upcoming adventure:

Not exactly roughing it when I stay near Hue, Vietnam.  I rented a one bedroom bungalow
over the water on a lagoon adjacent to the South China Sea...
Dragon bridge in Da Nang.  I decided to fly from Hanoi to Da Nang for $100 for the one hour flight vs. $745
for the 50 minute flight from Hanoi to Hue...    Easy math really especially given that Da Nang is only an
hour away by car from where I'm staying vs. 45 min from Hue.

Bien Lang Co which I'm expecting to pass through on my way to Vedana from Da Nang
so gorgeous!





No comments:

Post a Comment