Friday 28 March 2014

Trials and tribulations

This week has been incredibly stressful!   I suppose it comes with the territory as the quarter end is Monday and what can I say all eyes on my team to deliver new business sales results…   No matter how many times you go through this it never gets easier or less frustrating as everyone’s stress level is through the roof.

Throw into the mix a flat tire in the car, which I had to take in for repairs and the constantly cold weather - seriously I’ve been fit to be tied this week.  However, as I sit here and write this week’s blog somehow the stress seems to fall away…oh, probably the tumbler of scotch helps as well. ☺

Now, I know what you're thinking…Mr. Doom and Gloom.  Actually not so much, so to balance the ledger there has been a couple of really positive things happened as well.  

I had an opportunity to met with company that manages speakers, primarily for corporate and motivational conferences and although I still have some work to do in terms of crystallizing my messaging this is an area that I want to pursue.  I’m fortunate in that I had the chance to spend some time with one of the senior partners of the firm to get some key insights both into the speaking industry but also the competitive nature of this market.   Yes, I’d be up against a lot of Olympians right now…

That being said, I still feel very positive about my story and how I can be differentiating myself on the speaking circuit.  

When I reflect back on my personal journey, not only over the past three years but indeed my entire life then I think there is pause for some deep appreciation of where I started my life and the rather circuitous route to how I got to where I am today.

Now we can frame it in whatever the favorite catchphrase of the moment is but I’d like to think of my journey as one of resilience, self-belief and the ability to be in the moment or as they’d say today “mindfulness”.

The definition of mindfulness is - "Mindfulness is a state of active and open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance, without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment and awakening to experience."

Seriously how else could a kid born into a very poor rural family, lets be clear here – 500 people in the middle of nowhere Australia during the late 1950’s to get to where he is today unless he has a fair dose of resilience and self belief.  Okay perhaps maybe a mega dose of each. ☺

The first, and only one of five to go to University, leaving home at 17 to escape rather than pursue my dreams...although that’s what I thought at the time it gave me a chance to get out and set the foundation for me to follow my dreams of traveling the world.   Strangely the only thing I was thinking about at the time was how to escape.

Now fast forward to today and where I am – some might say a bit of a miracle others might say I was lucky.  Realistically probably a bit of both, although there’s nothing like being in the right place at the right time and going with your gut (no wonder I love doing Improv!) 

So who knows but I would like to continue to pursue my writing and public speaking as a full time career so keep an ear out for opportunities where I could come and speak.  My first gig is at Sami’s school in a couple of weeks where I get an opportunity to go in and speak to her grade about the journey to becoming a blogger and author.

Honestly I’m excited at the prospect as I know most of the girls in her grade because many of them have been over at one time or another or I’ve met them at the various sporting or social events over the last couple of years.   

Poor Sami, she gets driven crazy by her classmates “Sami your dad has the cutest accent….” Hhhmmm – what accent exactly?  ☺

Anyway, it'll be a great way to practice my story for the next phase of my career.

Photos I took in California last weekend - enjoy!



Riotous colors and reflections in the late afternoon light

Sunset in Cali

Reflections 

The iron fence

Spring time in Cali

Picture perfect flowers in the early morning light

Dawn surf...

As it says, Santa Monica is the end of the trail for the famous Route 66

Seagulls at sunset 
Santa Monica pier amusement park

Waves on the pier

Sunset 

Beautiful brass vase

High rise car-park in Santa Monica

Lights in the window



No comments:

Post a Comment