Friday 4 April 2014

The Plan

A friend of me asked me what I had planned for the summer and if I was going to get away for a couple of weeks…   He does know me right!  J

Of course I'm planning on escaping to somewhere interesting and fun while Zach and Sami are away at summer camp. This year Zach is going for two month’s, as it’s his last chance before getting a summer job so he’s committed to the full summer up north at Camp Arowhon. 

Camp Arowhon - summertime bliss for both Zach & Sami

Personally I think it'll be great for him to be immersed in nature for such a length spell but more importantly that he'll be totally disconnected from the grid for the entire time.  Yep, one of the best things about this camp is that there are no phones allowed at camp so no texting or phone calls.  That being said he could take his old fashioned iPod for some nighttime listening but that's about it.  He’s also informed me now that he’s a senior camper they have the run of the place…hhhmmm, not sure that’s a good thing?

Zach is a strong canoeist and as the current record holder of the camps Whitney Challenge (120 km round trip) he and two of his cohort from last year completed the trip in just over 30 hours are sizing up the task ahead of them to see if they can break their own record.

I don't care what you say that is a true “feat of arms” in anyone’s book!  Not only is it rough country to canoe and portage through but for three 14 year olds a pretty gutsy effort overall.  He said that they only stopped when it was too dark to go on, sleeping intermittently and traveling as light as possible with the bare minimum of food to get them through.  Other than some blisters and sunburn they survived amazingly well.

Yes, I was very proud of him.

Since then we've even talked about doing the Kokoda Track together in Papua New Guinea when he graduates from High School in a couple of years time.  The rate he’s growing he'll be more than ready to out do me on the track.  J

As for my beautiful daughter well she’s playing for a new Premier league soccer club this season and as starting striker has a very heavy training regime for much of the year, but especially in the spring and summer.  

Sami's new team
The team is also booked into a number of tournaments both in Canada and the US over the course of the summer and early fall which will provide her with the opportunity to get in front of some US College scouts…did I say sports scholarship?   Well, too early to tell but she’s definitely got dreams of going that route if at all possible.

Hence, Sami can only get away to camp for just over three week’s, as she’s not able to miss more than three games in a season.

So the plan would be to take her to camp as normal but leave a week early so that she can continue her soccer season.  Already a couple of her teammates have had to leave the team as their parents were unable or unwilling to stick to the three game rule, tough love indeed! 

As a football coach in my prior life (BK – before kids) I completely understand where they're coming from in that they want to minimize the damage to their season and potential playoff run and if they have a slew of players absent for an extended portion of the season then they have little hope of staying in the Premier league beyond this season let alone making the playoffs.

This season Sami will be playing against her old club (she was with Islington Rangers last year), with her new club being promoted into the Premier league after winning their division last year.

All very exciting for both of them as we head into the summer!

As for me, well my plans center on a possible trip to Vietnam or possibly Morocco.  I've been doing some research on both locations, so have some definite ideas about specific places I'd like to go and see depending on which I choose. 

The Ancient Imperial city of Hue
Vietnam
If it’s Vietnam, then definitely I’ll fly into Hanoi via Hong Kong before heading to Hue.  Hue is the ancient Imperial city situated on the Perfume River approximately mid way between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City close to the South China Sea.   Not only is it a beautiful place but also is rich in history and culture, plus they have awesome beaches, friendly locals and some of the best French fusion food on the planet.   Clearly all pluses!

As for Morocco, a friend of mine visited recently with his family and had an absolutely amazing time staying predominantly in Marrakech where they rented an apartment.  Exploring the many Souks (bazaar) and the Medina (Arab quarter) as well as hiking in the nearby Atlas Mountains.   They really had a wonderful time and loved the experience.  When I looked at his photos I was expecting Indiana Jones to be lurking in the background – seriously!

So much to see and choose from for my next big adventure, the question is how on earth do I decide?   

I realize I have a tough life if that’s as much as I have to worry about, right.  J






No comments:

Post a Comment