Friday 18 July 2014

Age of Enlightenment

As I listened to Sami this week I realized that teenagers really only see or care about things that are less than a meter from their physical beings.  I suppose it’s a right of passage for all teenagers to forget that the world exists beyond this small and albeit important radius, and that anyone who, even for a moment has the audacity to be in this space had better have a darn good reason...unless its another girlfriend.

My role of permanent taxi driver notwithstanding, it seems like they just assume that parents will pretty much do what they desire, when they want and how they want.  Surprisingly, it seems a well known fact that parents don't actually have the right to ask them to do anything that they didn't actually think of, let alone take part in a specific request.  Heaven forbid!

Not that I consciously tried to upset her but to say that she was very annoyed with me last weekend was a bit of an understatement, now for those that know me I can be a little…how shall I put this…task oriented.  

Our neighborhood was built in 1920, but with this comes large established trees and shady streets to walk

It all began innocently enough, the weather had been so-so all weekend and rained most of Sunday morning, but as soon as the sun started to peek through the clouds around lunchtime I suggested, okay strongly suggested that we go for a walk along the Danforth and pick up a few supplies and check out a home-ware store I wanted to look in.

Initially my request she had been completely ignored me (step one – pretends like she didn’t hear) while continuing to watch Netflix on the television.  I upped the ante when I told her that it wasn't really a question but a request that she join me on the walk.  I explained that we had been inside all day to this point and that it would be nice to get outside, get some air and take a walk.  I even tried the old “lets stop by the bookstore and see if there’s a book you want to read” trick, but clearly as an old hand at this game she ignored me out of hand.

Her next response when I pressed her was to give me the sad face (step two – are you for real?), not that she actually moved off the couch or anything tangible.  Although by now I knew that she was getting a little more aggravated and frustrated with my continued requests.

I persisted as I put on my sandals and opened the front door, by now it had escalated to the big sighs and slumped shoulders (step three – give me a break, can’t you see I'm tired?).  Two can you play it your game Missy I thought, and I could see her resolve starting to wane…ever so slightly.

“But daddy I don't want to go for a walk” she implored (step four – the whining now begins), now we were getting somewhere, an actual verbal response no less.

Too bad I said, as I held out her Sperry’s…”you're a mean father” (step five – outright hostility).   Yes I am, I retorted as she got up from the couch and snatched the shoes from out of my hand.

As we walked she completely ignored my endeavors to engage her in any form of conversation, its amazing how many one word answers or monosyllabic responses a teenager actually has in their repertoire…trust me at 13 she is highly skilled in this arena!

We strolled for about 20 minutes or so until we reached the home-ware store that I wanted to take a look at and as we entered the store she quickly moved off to immerse herself in the goodies that adorned the displays.  After finding what I was looking for and buying it I looked around the store to find her absorbed with an outdoor puzzle.  She showed me the cool design and giggled, and I could see that the veil of annoyance was finally starting to lift.

Sami's Salted Caramel-Chocolate Dump Cake - absolutely delicious!
As we exited the store she asked if there was a Starbucks on the way home, of course there was I replied.  We dropped into the next one I saw and once she had gotten her iced Frappuccino she was back to her normal self.

“Perhaps I could bake when I get home” she said smiling.   That sounds great I said what do you have in mind? I asked.   Well there’s a Salted Caramel-Chocolate Dump Cake I want to try.  Yum I thought to myself!  I had finally gotten my normal, rational Sami back.   Thank goodness as I’m not sure how much more of the attitude I could have taken.  J


As we continued walking she told me the story of her trip to the BeyoncĂ© concert at the Air Canada Center (ACC) earlier in the week.  She had gone with her girlfriend Kate (yes, it was her first concert!) and I was super excited for her.  I asked her how it was and she said with some trepidation “it was okay”.   Okay I repeated, really?   How come?   Well daddy they serve beer at the ACC and there were some women behind us and they had too much to drink and one of them threw up on us half way through the show.   Sami was not impressed, not one little bit.  Poor kid, and her first concert too!

Isn't it amazing how teens think and act, it seems universal, irrespective of what country they're from, what upbringing they've had or social class they belong.  It truly is fascinating but I'm not completely sure who is being enlightened with the ways of the world...hhhmmm is it Sami or is it me???

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos this week come from my recent visit to Ottawa - enjoy!

Ball of wool sculpture with requisite miniature sheep...very cute!

I love the contrasting colors of the sign, the sky and the bridge

They sure go all out in Ottawa's Little Italy, I mean a million signs to tell everyone where they are 

Gotta love lilies - so beautiful at this time of the summer

The fire escape is reminiscent of NY's SoHo neighborhood

The old City Baths - in the heart of Little Italy....where else?

Sensational natural colors, shapes and designs

My favorite - a fast food vendor in the heart of Little Italy (Ottawa)


No comments:

Post a Comment