Thursday 3 July 2014

Idyllic afternoon...

It was late afternoon by the time I stepped from my meeting onto the street in Madrid, and almost everyone except tourists were heading home for siesta.  Let me tell you that of all the places I've been the Spanish take great pride in continuing the tradition of siesta.  This two to three hour afternoon break from the rigors of the day is part of the fabric and rhythms of life in all of Spain and which I fully support being adopted in the remainder of the world!

For those visiting like me, its no longer like it once was where absolutely everything closes down, but cognizant of tourism and its importance in the economy over the past few decades there has been an acceptance that not absolutely everything can or should close during siesta well at least in the big metropolitan centers anyway. J

Fortunately I had the remainder of the afternoon stretching before me as my flight back to Toronto wasn't until the next morning.

What to do I thought to myself?   Well, definitely back to my hotel to drop my briefcase, change and grab my trusty camera…

Museo del Prado in Madrid, set within the beautiful Botanical Gardens

My hotel was adjacent to the Botanical Gardens and the Reina Sofia National Museum and Art Center and I had my heart set on going to the Prado Museum, which was located about a kilometer from my hotel.  Although I started the walk under cloudy skies it was great to feel the intermittent sun on my face as I strolled along the perimeter of the gardens, warming as I walked.

Upon reaching the Prado I realized that there was a Van Dyck exhibition at the museum, and although not a huge fan of Baroque had to go in and experience the sheer beauty of the Prado.

As expected it was a stunning collection of art treasures and not to be missed on any visit to Madrid, but when I exited the museum (on a bit of an art high as you can imagine) I stood on the top of the steps leading down to the street exit and noticed a woman in a striking red coat.  No, I mean stunningly red with everything a drab grey in contrast to the brilliance of her coat. 

Perhaps it was a sign that I was in for a photographic extravaganza I pondered as I brought my camera up to take the shot…

The mysterious woman in the red coat
 Even before I had left the grounds I has a number of fantastic photos, seemingly everywhere I looked there was another image that just screamed out to be taken, so obligingly I cooperated and snapped image after image.

From the Prado I headed west along Carrera de San Jerónimo toward Puerta del Sol unaware of what fate had in store for me.  Now, I don't really believe in fate, but it sure felt like it as I approached the Plaza...drawing me in to the fascinating facades and the myriad of cobbled streets that lead off in all directions.  As I stood observing the scene before me, and taking it all in I noticed a row of motorcycles parked on a side street. 

With an ever-curious mind I moved (or was I cosmically pulled?) toward the ubiquitous row of bikes parked nearby. I remember the light becoming very bright all of a sudden yet there was a dark overtone, it was an unusual light and as I looked up I noticed a dark storm cloud approaching, blotting the sun from half the sky.  The remainder of the sky was a deep azure (blue) and I was bathed in brilliant sunshine.  The light and tone were in that split second absolutely perfect, a photographers dream if you will.

I knew this light was a rarity and by its very nature elusive so I wanted to take full advantage, I raised my camera and began shooting as I strode around the Plaza.  Within seconds the light had evaporated, as the sky began to darken considerably.

One of my favorites is my image captured in the mirror of
one of the motorbikes parked at Puerta del Sol
Now, seeing what was coming I quickly moved off toward Plaza Mayor, which was relatively nearby, barely making it under the covered walkway that surrounded the Plaza when the storm touched down over central Madrid. 

For ten unabridged minutes it absolutely poured! The rain was as heavy as any I'd seen, even in Papua New Guinea or the tropics, it was as if someone was pouring bucket after bucket from the sky almost unable to see three meters in front of you.

Then just as quickly as it had hit, it stopped!  Within a minute the clouds had begun to scatter to reveal an incredibly sunny afternoon once again.  The steam rose in clouds from the large stone slabs that cover the Plaza as the tourists, tentatively at first, began to emerge from under the covered walkway and began once more milling in all areas of the square.   The gloom of the storm now replaced with the carnival type atmosphere that permeated the large square was fascinating to observe.

Clearly the locals, many of them already home for siesta didn’t pay much attention to what seemed like a pretty normal afternoon, but to me it was mesmerizing to feel the intensity of the storm and be on hand to witness its revitalizing powers all within minutes.

Every color seemed to brighten or come alive in the post storm light, every shape seemed more interesting, which for a photographer is pure heaven.

My afternoon consisted of capturing the brilliance of central Madrid, in all of its glory and at the end of the day I had nearly 400 photos to show for it.  I felt blessed with being there just for this moment in time and now wanted to share with some of the best photos from that afternoon with you all.


Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Museo del Prado exhibition of Van Dyck

Sculptures inside the Prado was phenomenal


Check out the gargoyle protecting the statue of Goya in front of the Prado

I love the reflection of the building across the street on the fruit and vegetable shop

Fishmonger with today's catch on display 
I loved the purple reflection being emitted from the top of the light fixture
Shattered glass door that's clearly seen better days...
Puerta del Sol 

Rain pelting down at Plaza Mayor in central Madrid during siesta 
Followed shortly after by a brilliantly blue sky, warm sunshine and steaming cobblestones

Now this is what I call an idyllic afternoon spent with my camera in
beautiful Madrid




No comments:

Post a Comment