Saturday 31 May 2014

Cholla Trail

The warm dry heat hit me as I stepped across the threshold of the plane and onto the bridge as I deplaned.  I took a deep breath to see if the desert air would affect me the same way as it does when I land in Australia, but alas no such luck.  

True, it was exhilarating to feel the sun on my skin, and see a crystal blue sky especially after the long, cold and grey winter, which we just experienced in Toronto, but being in a city for work is not the same as when you’re there purely for pleasure.

The trail sign as I start to climb the last third of the trail
Camelback Mountain, Arizona
As the cab drove toward the hotel, the surrounding mountains captured my attention as they rose majestically from the desert floor and it was clear that my mission for the week was to take some time and climb one of them.

As you'd expect my schedule was crazy and although my team had done a wonderful job of coordinating the event, my role as emcee and general host for the conference completely filled my schedule…   Fortunately for me I had come into Scottsdale a couple of days prior to my official duties starting so after touching base with the team, and finalizing a couple of key items I headed back to my room, determined to put my running gear on and get out the door for a hike.

By the time I exited the hotel it was close to 5:00 pm, quickly stopping at the Concierge to ask what time sunset was I estimated that I needed about three hours before it would be completely dark.  I definitely didn’t want to be caught on a mountain trail in the dark, and so feeling pretty comfortable that I could make it back in time I headed out with two bottles of water.

The afternoon was hot, although not the scorching temperatures that it was going to be later in the week where it would top 43C or 110F.  A dry breeze teased the air as I walked over toward the Cholla trailhead, which was about a kilometer from the hotel and by the time I arrived was starting to sweat.

The view north from the top of Camelback Mountain
Scottsdale, Arizona

 As I peered up at Camelback Mountain I felt pretty good with my camera slung over my shoulder.  I noticed a number of people well up the trail but stopping frequently.  The trail itself was a composite of dry hard packed desert sand and loose rocks.  I was surrounded by what looked like tumbleweed and an assortment of cactus.

The further up the mountain I went small rocks were replaced with larger and larger boulders, and the cactus with the significantly taller Saguaro cactus.

For those of you that have climbed on this trail, it’s basically broken into three distinct sections.  The first third is a pretty easy climb to the top of a small peak before you transverse a long ridge spur climbing as you go to a helipad. 
The final third of the climb is rather steep with a number of places where you have to use your hands to climb over and between boulders, but once you reach the summit its spectacular. 

View to the South West - late afternoon from the peak at Camelback Mountain
There were a few occasions where I had to backtrack, as the trail seemed to just peter out into dead ends.  Hhhmmm, it seems that I had somehow missed a turn or two. Head down taking photos most likely!

As I summited Camelback the views were absolutely spectacular.  Gulping my first water bottle and taking in the breathtaking 360 degree view was worth every moment of the hike.

It was a perfect place to sit and reflect; just sitting I closed my eyes and listened to the wind softly caress the high mountain peak as I contemplated my week ahead.  My physical exhaustion quickly faded and feeling recovered after my water, a short meditation, and cool little photo session I decided not to press my luck and head back down.

The round trip was about 2:40 min, but I stopped numerous times to take photos, in fact I took close to 150 photos all told, but after editing and paring them back I got to much more manageable 75 or so.  

What a truly amazing thing to do to start my week - I couldn't of asked for a better kick off!

Here are a selection of photos from my hike - enjoy!

A mighty Saguaro cactus growing on a rocky ledge
Camelback Mountain, Arizona

The trail across the ridge line toward the helipad

Cactus fingers in the late afternoon light

New growth on a Saguaro overlooking the lower slope on
Camelback Mountain



Looking up a steep portion of the trail


New growth finds a foothold anywhere on the mountain







No comments:

Post a Comment