Saturday 24 May 2014

My mysterious summer plans

As the days start to lengthen and spring turns to full bloom, both the kids and I start to look toward the summer and our respective holiday escapes.  For the past nine years for Zach and seven for Sami it’s been Camp Arowhon.  Set in the beautiful Algonquin Provincial Park about 3.5 hours drive from Toronto, this idyllic camp has served campers since 1934 and is a fantastic summer escape.  They truly love the natural setting and disconnectedness from the electronic world that we’re immersed in for most of the year.

Summertime fun for Zach and Sami
This year Zach is going to camp for full two month’s with a short two day return between the sessions. I know he’s excited and looking forward to camping, canoeing and generally relaxing in this wilderness setting with his mates (yes, most of his cohort are like him and been coming to camp for many years), and although they don't see each other during the school year for the most part they are very close over the summer.  

With Sami and her soccer schedule she can only miss three games, so I'm planning to drive her up a day or two after the normal start of camp so she doesn't break team rules.  Fortunately the way her schedule falls she'll still be able to enjoy almost a full month away which she loves. 

Now as for me, I've been thinking about my annual travel get away as well, but there are so many places I haven't been yet but would love to visit and explore.  

Too many choices…   At the moment my number one destination is Vietnam. Why Vietnam you ask?  

My introduction to Vietnam was not one of beauty but of tragedy, as the footage from the Vietnam war featured prominently on the nightly news through most of the 1960's and early 1970's, yes even in Australia.  However, with the war some 40 years distant and the country almost completely rebuilt Vietnam is on the rise.  For instance, did you know it's the second largest rice producer and exporter in the world after Thailand?   Plus over recent years has really come into its own especially in the manufacturing sector, just take a look at your household products next time you buy something.  But best of all is that its still relatively untouched by the tourist hordes (yes, the ones just like me).  J



Gateway to the Citadel in Hue
(Vietnam)

If I go to Vietnam my number one destination is the ancient Imperial city of Hue (pronounced Way), situated astride the Perfume River, and adjacent to the coast about halfway between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon).  It’s often been described as a city caught in another time; with its wide boulevards and its definitely French Colonial influences juxtaposed with the ancient Citadel that lay nestled against the river. Sounds like a perfect place for an adventure if you ask me!

Even the sound of the Perfume River conjures up images of a bygone era, a time of floating markets, and slow moving boats as they gently ply the river. Of beautiful Vietnamese women dressed in their traditional Ao Dai (“flowing tunic”) strolling the wide boulevards, or French styled Cafés under the merciless hot tropical sun.  How many stories could you write in an exotic and intoxicating environment like this I wonder?

Its easy to get caught up in these romantic images, but I'm more interested in the reality of the new Vietnam. 

Realistically I'm only going to scratch the surface of seeing or indeed experiencing the real Vietnam in just two weeks, but I definitely plan on spending as much time as possible getting off the beaten track and having an authentic Vietnam experience (whatever that means).  The best part for me is the anticipation, planning, and trying to piece together an itinerary that makes sense given my short time.

The Veranda Lagoon hotel - accommodations are over the water and
situated about 35 km from Hue...definitely on my list!

My entry point will most likely be via Hong Kong before flying to Hanoi and then onto Hue where I plan to start my journey.

With my backpack ready, the camera primed and all of my shots up-to-date (thanks to my expedition to Papua New Guinea two years ago).   All I need to do now is nail down the dates and jump on that plane...

Can't come fast enough!









1 comment:

  1. Dude ' you know you´ll have to go back to Vietnam, since I´ll be living there from 2015 through 2017!!!

    ReplyDelete